Monday, January 26, 2009

Trip Home

So I took a trip home to New Orleans, and what’s sad is that although I was there for a friend’s birthday, I spent 90% of my time eating, or planning what I would eat.
So the highlights of my eating adventure are as such:

Thursday, I arrive and get scooped up by my aunt and cousin who ask if I’m hungry, which is clearly a given… So we make our way to a place in Kenner called The Swamp Room, which is known for their burgers and steaks. The burger was what I had, and is served up however you like it cooked. When I tell you the thing was large, man, I mean this burger was the size of a salad plate! It was fantastic, I could only eat half, which hurt me a lil to leave that much food behind, but it was really just doing too dam much to force it down… After the burger I told my cousin to surprise me with whatever drink he chose, and he came back with Patron with pineapple which is actually good. I had never heard of this, but you learn something everyday….

Friday I wake up wondering what I will be eating next, and we end up at this ‘hood BBQ place called Podnas. I got the ribs, and again it was hard not to eat everything in my plate, but could not due to not wanting to vomit all of that great food back up…The meat was so tender, and the sauce was banging….So then for dinner we went to Jacques-imos, my best friend and I split 3 appetizers, and all I gotta say is that I am going back, everything I had was amazing and not only because we had downed a bottle of champagne with our dinner.
After dinner we went down to Frenchmen and went to the Hookah Bar, we stayed for a while, got the bday girl drunk, then moved down the street to some Mediterranean place once it got crowded in Hookah. I guess my cousin told the ppl that it was my homegirl’s bday, and they sent out these Shrimp that were so dam good, it didn’t make any sense…. I cant even tell you what kind of seasoning they had, just yummy! After drinking some more we ended up stopping by Café Du Monde and getting a sack of beignets, that were wasted as we were too drunk and full to eat more than one each…

Saturday, I got to have crawfish… I was thrilled when I was told they were in season, and since here in Dallas I cant just pick up boiled seafood, I had to get me some. If we had not planned to go out, I would have dug in and ate them things all day, so dam good….The bday girl wanted to go down to the Quarters for karaoke, so before that we met up at her girl’s house. There I had some Manchu’s chicken, which is some dam good greasy spicy fried chicken that only has locations in places that you may get you shot up just for being in the area…I made some meatballs, and the chic had made some bomb ass crawfish pasta, and then to top it off we had this amazing chocolate cake that had cream cheese icing…It was cold as all get out, but we took our dum selves downtown anyway. After many drinks bday girl talked us into doing a group performance, which turned out horribly, the fools who thought of it punked out once on stage….just a mess….Due to the whack ass performance bday girl was ready to go and ended up pissing her man off who was pumped up about his own performance that he was waiting to do…Alas, we went home.

Sunday was my last but perhaps best day. We went to brunch at the Court of Two Sisters. I had always heard about the brunch there but had never been. Mostly due to the fact that I was poor and it was known as being expensive. So we go down there, and can I tell you that this was perhaps the best dam buffet I had ever seen in life! Anything you could think of was out there… Meats, sides, items such as grits and grillades, a roast, with gravy, boiled seafood, fruits, sausages, bananas foster, ettouffes, etc… The best dam turtle soup I have ever tasted… oh but then we found the egg area… There is a dude who will cook you eggs any kind of way, including omelets with the choice of having shrimp creole in there, eggs benedict with this crab and shrimp mixture instead of Canadian bacon, etc… I wanted to live there… The server was great and brought out a slice of this orgasmic chocolate doberge cake for the bday girl… I ate so dam much, it was ridiculous… Then we left and I copped a daiquiri after having a whole bottle of champagne with brunch…..

Then it was back to the airport for me, to return to regular old life, and TX……And to the gym to deal with all this food i ate in a matter of 3 days!

No comments: