Wednesday, June 27, 2012

“Know When to Hold-em”, More Dating in DFW

So Ima back track on this dating thing real quick. When I first broke up with my longtime boyfriend, before the online dating and such- I began seeing a man who works in my building. It ended badly, and I should have walked away long before it went down that road. This is one of the lessons I have had to learn, “know when to hold-em, know when to fold-em”.
So one summer a tall, good looking brotha started working in my building and I made it my business to become friendly with him. Soon we were going to lunch and emailing each other little funny stuff. We had similar asshole tendencies so we liked to talk about/make fun of people we worked with. He enjoyed the same ignant music as I did, but was intelligent enough to talk politics. We kept hanging out outside of work and flirting and after a while it evolved into us actually dating.
We began seeing each other a large part of our time away from work, but not really going out. There was a lot of me and him holed up in one of our residences drinking and watching movies or sports. I do this alone so it wasn't a hug deal but I was tired of not EVER going anywhere. He was paranoid about people being in our business at work, so was against really going out into the world as a twosome. Red Flag you say? Not to me, I was like ok cool. (Dumb).

After about a year and half into this "relationship", he began going places with me. I was ecstatic, I just knew the tides were turning and we were on track to being a normal happy couple who actually do stuff together (outside the house). I had a big party for my friend’s birthday and he was my date. He bought me a nice and thoughtful gift for my birthday a month later- in my mind things were slowly but surely changing. Then about a week before Christmas he mentioned that he was getting rid of all secular items in his house. I was like “whoa wait, what?” Not because I am against Jesus, but more because I was taken aback by this complete 180 in beliefs. He explained that he needed to get his life right for the sake of his soul and his son’s, and then told me that he wished I would do the same.

He sent me a link to this online church he belonged to, and the whole things screamed “CULT”. I told him good luck and that was that.

Well not really, I had a little break down that night and maybe a few after that. I cried and got ridiculously drunk and made my friends endure dramatic sad sack texts explaining how hurt I was . But after that I was cool with it :)

No comments: